Ren'Py All Ren'Py games are crashing constantly

The Daus

Oct 1, 2023
Games will often crash 7 out of 10 times on startup or after interacting with stuff, (even just clicking on load to bring up game saves will often lead to crashes.) Most of the time they give a different reason with each crash. Its worse with some games and often logs aren't even made. Been going on for a while and Ive tried a bunch of different things. Changing the renderer, running in admin, changing the drive the game files are on, deleting and reinstalling games, checking drivers for my video card, checking for OS updates or even rolling back to a version before the issues started. I got windows 11, my Processor is i9-13900kf, my graphics card is an RTX 4090. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Akuma382

Jun 22, 2020
It is possible that your CPU may be experiencing issues, as there have been reports of 13th and 14th generation Intel CPUs causing game crashes.

Just my take on that.

Ashira13

Jan 31, 2024
Windows-10-10.0.22631 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
are you sure you are on windows 11 and with a intel cpu. looks like renpy is running on "simulated" hardware here. also, try not to use from so many subsequent subfolders, not sure if renpy likes that. try running it from D:/games/LifeofDesmond-0.9.5.0-pc\ if you aer not ashamed that is ;)

x21

Mar 28, 2018
I'm in the near exact same boat, only difference is I got a 4080 super. It was strange, I've only had the system maybe a month and a half. Everything was fine but something changed and it started about a week ago. Tried all the same stuff, and am about to just format the whole thing to see if that changes anything.

ManiacGamer

Apr 12, 2022
AttributeError: 'Script' object has no attribute 'endswith'
I think the game’s code is supposed to check if certain files end with “.rpyc” (this is just a type of file the game uses). But it looks like the game tried to check a file that doesn’t have a name, or something went wrong with how it’s reading the files.

- Try renaming the file (scripts.rpyc) to different name and then try to launch the game. It tries to generate the missing file (in this case, the script.rpyc) in the directory causing it to start as fresh.

Do note to take backup of your save files in case if game gets corrupted

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
But it looks like the game tried to check a file that doesn’t have a name, or something went wrong with how it’s reading the files.
No, fn is the file name before the file is opened. It should be a string and have absolutely no reason to be a Script object. And I really mean "absolutely no reason", at no time in the code can it be something else than a script.

It's something known here, and as peterppp said, it's linked to the CPU. For some totally unknown reason, some a bit under powered Intel CPUs make Python goes crazy and have this kind of totally weird behavior. I guess that the link he posted contain the way to solve this.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Games will often crash 7 out of 10 times on startup or after interacting with stuff, (even just clicking on load to bring up game saves will often lead to crashes.) Most of the time they give a different reason with each crash. Its worse with some games and often logs aren't even made. Been going on for a while and Ive tried a bunch of different things. Changing the renderer, running in admin, changing the drive the game files are on, deleting and reinstalling games, checking drivers for my video card, checking for OS updates or even rolling back to a version before the issues started. I got windows 11, my Processor is i9-13900kf, my graphics card is an RTX 4090. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Daus

Just as an additional point of reference for a fix if need be, try reviewing the following solution provided by a Redditor to see if it helps fix your problem or not.

1725213850068.png

1725213982022.png

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
I am at a complete loss. I am running a slightly older Windows 10 64-bit and having the same issue. In fact, it doesn't matter which Ren'py game I attempt to launch I get a quick flash of the load window - a split second long - and nothing. I cannot figure this out. As I said I am running Windows 10 64-bit, AMD 7800x, 1080ti graphics (yes drivers are updated), MSI motherboard. There have been no changes to my system since i built it years ago and it was working yesterday without any issues. I am so damn confused.

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
I am at a complete loss. I am running a slightly older Windows 10 64-bit and having the same issue. In fact, it doesn't matter which Ren'py game I attempt to launch I get a quick flash of the load window - a split second long - and nothing. I cannot figure this out. As I said I am running Windows 10 64-bit, AMD 7800x, 1080ti graphics (yes drivers are updated), MSI motherboard. There have been no changes to my system since i built it years ago and it was working yesterday without any issues. I am so damn confused.
Now I am just baffled. I can load one Ren'py game but not another...ARRRRGH!

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
you didn't mention the one thing that mattered most for this thread: your cpu.
that said, since you dont post an error log, we have just your word it is the same issue. games can crash for a variety of reasons

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
you didn't mention the one thing that mattered most for this thread: your cpu.
that said, since you dont post an error log, we have just your word it is the same issue. games can crash for a variety of reasons
CPU...Oh you mean the AMD 7800x? Yeah, that's a CPU. I guess I forgot to add the "Ryzen" because that is what AMD CPU's currently are; I could have told you it is an 8 physical core AMD-Ryzen 7800x - would that have been more clear? Regardless, this fixation on the CPU for my issue seems pointless. LITERALLY NOTHING CHANGED from yesterday, when everything was running fine and then today only a select few Ren'py games are not starting. That alone tells me it is NOT the CPU.

EDIT: Oh, there is NO ERROR LOG - like I clearly stated in my original post: "I attempt to launch I get a quick flash of the load window - a split second long - and nothing."

Does anyone have anything constructive to offer?

Ashira13

Jan 31, 2024
btw, since i started dabbeling with python in regards to game mods developement and stable diffusion, i noticed that the more subfolders i run a python based software from, i get problems. first of all, i hadn't acivated long filenames on windows. that cause an issue because the combined filepath exceded 260 characters. when i moved the down several levels, i had no issue any more. hope that helps.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
CPU...Oh you mean the AMD 7800x? Yeah, that's a CPU. I guess I forgot to add the "Ryzen" because that is what AMD CPU's currently are; I could have told you it is an 8 physical core AMD-Ryzen 7800x - would that have been more clear? Regardless, this fixation on the CPU for my issue seems pointless. LITERALLY NOTHING CHANGED from yesterday, when everything was running fine and then today only a select few Ren'py games are not starting. That alone tells me it is NOT the CPU.

EDIT: Oh, there is NO ERROR LOG - like I clearly stated in my original post: "I attempt to launch I get a quick flash of the load window - a split second long - and nothing."

Does anyone have anything constructive to offer?
right, i read too fast and saw "amd graphics".

but you said you had the same issue, but the op did sometimes have error logs which he posted several of. so then it's not the same issue. and all evidence points to his problem being because of his intel 13900 cpu.

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
right, i read too fast and saw "amd graphics".

but you said you had the same issue, but the op did sometimes have error logs which he posted several of. so then it's not the same issue. and all evidence points to his problem being because of his intel 13900 cpu.
Understood. Apologies if my post came across as harsh - I am just baffled by this. and I am very tech savvy person. Oh well, I guess I will have to limp along until my "hit or miss" approach works. If I find something useful I will post for others in case it helps.

Be well. :cool:

Reactions: peterppp

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Reactions: SISIMEN

SISIMEN

Jun 9, 2017
Found a fix. Have to "run as administrator" and as I am selecting that option for the .exe I have to simultaneously press and hold Shift+G.

Thanks again for the help. :cool:

P.S. Weird that it only affects certain Ren'py games; even more bizarre is it started with games I had already played without any changes. I can only speculate that it has something to do with my Nvidia GPU and Drivers. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: peterppp